Stolovichy. Catholic Church of the Most Holy Heart of Jesus
Stolovichy, a former rural settlement, has been known since the 15th century. From 1736, for a long time, in the central square of the present-day village there stood St. John the Baptist Catholic Church built of stone, which was a real adornment of the place. The church belonged to the Order of the Knights of St. John. In1879, the church was reconsecrated into Holy Dormition Orthodox Church.
The Catholic Church, erected in the name of the Most Holy Heart of Jesus in 1907-1911, is a real adornment of modern Stolovichy.
In terms of architecture, it a 3-nave one-turret basilica. The rectangular body is covered with a gable roof broken with triangular gable windows and a toothed gable.
The dominating structure of the volume-and-space composition of the church is a two-tire bell tower complete with a lofty spire.
The side facades are broken with lancet windows and buttresses.
The main entrance to the church is made as a powerful portal decorated with 3-step buttresses.
The church’s architectural expressiveness is attained by a wealth of decorative brickwork.
The interior contains a one-level wooden iconostasis in the centre of which, in the lancet niche, there is a wooden statue of Jesus.
Geographic coordinates: N 53° 12' 43,58" E 26° 02' 07,01"
Foto: Владимира ЗУЕВА, Андрея ПОНОМАРЕВА