The Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Ishkold
It is a 15th century architectural monument built in late Gothic style and is the oldest of the catholic churches (which have not been rebuilt) on the territory of present day Belarus.
One story has it that the church was built on the site of a pagan shrine; another runs that at that place there used to be a temple built of stone as far back as in the 12th century. The history of the temple is closely connected with the name of Nikolai Ivanovich Nemirovich, a representative of ancient nobility.
In the second half of the 16th century, Mikalaj Radzivil Corny (Black), the owner of the place, fascinated by the Reformation doctrine, changed the catholic church into Lutheran. In early 17th century, the church restored its Roman-catholic image.
After the national liberation uprising of 1863 had been crushed, the church was closed and in 1868 converted into an Orthodox church.
During WWI, the church was not destroyed but was given to Roman Catholics. During the WWII of 1941-1944, the building of the church was not damaged by military actions either, but gradually fell in direpair as there was no regular Polish priest. In the summer of 1969, the church was closed and was reopened only in 1978.
The church is rectangular in plan. Its dimensions are 26.4 by 13.5 meters.
The main body is covered with a high gable roof; its interior is divided into 3 short naves by 4 pillars. As a result of the repeated reconstruction work done during the 17th- 20th centuries, the artistic and decorative appearance of the church has changed.
The church’s architectural composition is an interpretation of mid-European gothic forms. The Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity does not have a high vertical composition or a rich sculptural design characteristic of West European Gothic architecture. This architectural monument clearly represents Belarusian church Gothic style.
Geographic coordinates: N 53° 08' 160" E 25° 54' 276"
Foto: Владимира ЗУЕВА, Андрея ПОНОМАРЕВА